When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him.
The Lord: I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and you, and I will multiply you exceedingly.
Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him.
God: As for me, my covenant is with you.
- You shall be a father of many nations.
- Your name shall no more be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made you.
- I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come out of you.
- I will establish my covenant between me and you and your seed after you in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to you and to your seed after you.
- I will give to you and to your seed after you, the land where you are a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession.
- I will be their God.
God (to Abraham): Therefore you shall keep my covenant, you, and your seed after you in their generations. This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your seed after you:
- Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
- You shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant between me and you.
- He that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house or bought with money from any stranger, which is not of your seed.
- He that is born in your house, and he that is bought with your money, must be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
- The uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people because he has broken my covenant.
God: As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. I will bless her, and give you a son also of her. Yes, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.
Abraham fell on his face, and laughed.
Abraham (in his heart): Shall a child be born to him that is a hundred years old? And shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?
Abraham (to God): O that Ishmael might live before thee!
God: Sarah your wife shall bear you a son indeed; and you shall call his name Isaac.
- I will establish my covenant with Isaac for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.
- As for Ishmael, I have heard you. I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; he shall beget twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation.
- But I will establish my covenant with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear to you at this set time in the next year.
God left off talking with him and went up from Abraham.
Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all that were born in his house, and all that were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham’s house; and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in that same day, as God had said to him.
Abraham was ninety years old and nine, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. Ishmael his son was thirteen years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
In the same day Abraham was circumcised, and Ishmael his son. And all the men of his house, born in the house, and bought with money from the stranger, were circumcised with him.